and I say $9.60?! Well that is certainly what I shouted (mentally, of course) when the cashier at Trader Joe’s told me what the total for a weeks worth of groceries was.
Due to New York being a giant ice box this week (not that I’m complaining) I wanted to cook up a toasty dish for dinner, which led me to this budget friendly gem.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with White Beans and Kale (serves 5…or 1 for 5 days)
- 5 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 bag TJ’s frozen Kale (they were out of fresh kale due to a crop freezing)
- 1 can white beans
- 1 shallot (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Rosemary sprig
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Wash and bake potatoes for 45 minutes to an hour
- Defrost and drain Kale
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat (start this about 15-20 minutes before the potatoes are finished)
- Saute the garlic, shallots, red pepper and rosemary for 2 minutes
- Add in the kale and white beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove the rosemary
- Add in the lemon juice and salt/pepper to taste; cook for another 2 minutes
Once the potatoes are finished, slice lengthwise and spoon in the kale mixture. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the final product, oops!